Noelle, my black Labrador Retriever, was born October 17, 1993. She was a Christmas gift from my sister that same year. My life was forever changed...for the better. If ever there was a guy & a dog that were meant for each other - it is me and Noelle. Through flashbacks, current events and photographs I hope to tell the story of life with my best friend. Here is our story...

Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Lasers?

Today Noelle went to the vet to get some of her arthritic joints shot with a laser gun.

A little background information...about 4 months ago our vet mentioned that lasers are now being used to treat inflammation in animal joints (aka arthritis). As usual I was very interested in anything that would improve Noelle's quality of life. Unfortunately, at the time our vet did not own a laser machine, but she promised to let me know if they purchased one. About a month later the vet invited Noelle down to be a test subject for a borrowed laser machine they were testing out. I had two reactions to this: 1) They think really highly of Noelle and 2) Wow, her arthritis must be really bad. Anyway, to shorten this story, the vet ended up purchasing a laser machine from the future (I believe it is called a diode laser) and again invited Noelle down for a free treatment as they trained their staff. I was very appreciative and more than happy to take them up on their offer. I mean, who are we to stand in the way of medical science?

Flash forward a couple of months. I, of course, signed Noelle up for the treatment program. The package consists of 3 laser treatments the first week, 2 the second week and 1 the third week. The package also contains 4 "boosters" to be given every 4-6 weeks as needed. Today Noelle completed the 6th and final treatment of the package (she still has the 4 boosters). However, Noelle will begin a whole new set of treatments (as part of a new package) on Monday morning. Why, you ask? Well, you see, my little lady has arthritis pretty much everywhere. She has completed treatment in her right hip, left hip and lower spine. Next week she will get lasered in both shoulders, both elbows and maybe her upper spine.

Lots of people say that the laser has had an immediate positive impact on their dogs. I have seen some improvements in Noelle but I am a little disappointed in the lack of progress. Perhaps I was expecting too much. Maybe its the weather. Maybe its because half her body has yet to be treated. Her left elbow arthritis (which is a recent development) gives her a lot of trouble. Anyway, I am still holding out a lot of hope for her. I would love to see Noelle's joint pain and stiffness reduced. She is a happy dog, but I can only imagine and dream about how much a successful laser treatment would improve her life.

Sorry if this was boring, but it will make later posts so much easier if I do not have to repeatedly explain the laser gun process.

Still holding out hope. Keep your fingers crossed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home